Thursday, September 19, 2013

First day of school... I have a first grader!!!

 Monday was the long awaited first day of school.  The boys were happy to wake up and anxious to get ready for school.  For the new first graders, they had the parents accompany their kids to class.  They called the roll and each kids said "presente", present.  They were then given a special, colored pencil.  Then they made a paper boat with the parents and kids.  During the boat project I snuck out because Jordan was begging me to take him to his school too.
 Jordan was sooooo happy to finally go back to school.  He met an old classmate, they hugged like long-lost brothers, and he didn't even bother giving me a kiss or saying good-bye before going into the class.  See you later, love you too!

As I was walking Jordan into school there were multiple mom's (of the new students) wiping away lots of tears, and even one mom was sobbing!  I had the biggest smile on my face ever.  Finally!  Maybe because I know that my kids are happy, and having fun with other kids.  Maybe because it's not too new.
Even though Elementary school is new for me, and a whole new world in another country, I felt proud of Aaron and his ability to adapt.  He loves school, and I think he'll do really well actually learning and doing new things.  He has a hard time with change, but seemed (for the first day at least) to take this one in stride.  I think that I have my normal mother worries:  will he make good choices, will he be kind to other kids and a friend to those who need one?  Will he be respectful?  What new swear words will learn?  Problem with being a foreigner is that I don't recognize all of them.

Overall, I felt very comfortable knowing that these little ones are in the Lord's hands, even at home, and most especially out of the home.  There's someone else watching over them when I can't.



No comments: