Monday, September 24, 2007

Fingers or the binky?

Oops, forgot to turn this picture the right way before I uploaded it. You get the idea anyway. The pediatrician, after almost 3 1/2 months that Aaron can't poop by himself, decided that enema's were no longer enough, so she told me to start feeding him pears. This is his first time eating food (other than my milk). They're actually prunes because that's all I had. He LOVED eating fruit (granted he was really hungry). He ate from the spoon like he had always done it. I only gave him 3 spoonfuls because it was the first time.

Aaron is now 14.5 lbs and 25 inches long (at 3 and a half months). His 6 months clothes fit well, and some almost tight, and his 9 month sock don't fit anymore either. He has enormous feet. He gets that from the Palmieri side.
I went to visit friends in Prato, the Furia family. This is there youngest daughter, Letizia, who loves Aaron. While he was taking his afternoon nap, Letizia went into the room every two minutes to make sure that he was ok. Good thing that Aaron is a good sleeper!
This is one morning after Aaron woke up, starving as usual.
So the other night we got home really late from visiting friends, and had to get up early the next morning to go to church. That night he woke up twice, and barfed all over me one of those times. I don't believe in letting your children sleep in your bed with you, but to keep him quiet I made an exception. This is him in the morning (slept right through my alarm).
Aaron's new thing is sucking on anything and everything possible. His favorite items are his four fingers. When I took him to the pediatrician this week she told me not to let him suck his fingers, but to give him the binky. She said that I can always take away his binky, but not his fingers. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't mind him sucking his fingers. If anyone reading this has an opinion, I'm willing to hear it. Just don't be offended if I don't take your advice.

6 comments:

saltysista said...

He is HUGE!! Nice job on the eating Aaron! Why did she say it is bad for him to suck on his fingers? He is only 3 months old! Melia used to suck on her fingers about that age all the time. Now she barely ever does but will put her thumb in her mouth when she "talks" or just b/c she wants to. She also uses a binky. He will eventually put his toes in his mouth. He is just exploring and learning about himself and that those are his fingers! Anyway...that's what I say. He is so cute and so you!

sarita said...

I let Isaac suck his thumb. He was all about his binky until he was about 3 months old--now he won't have anything to do with it but he loves his thumb (and his feet, by the way). I think they are still young enough that you shouldn't have to worry too much about it. Hopefully he'll grow out of sucking his thumb just like he did the binky.

Nekell said...

I heard that too from other people. You can decide for yourself. You won't ruin him either way :) No one can really tell you what will happen anyway. We went with the binky just because of everything she touched, yuck. Each kid is so different.

Scott and Karin said...

I agree with everyone here! It really is fine for them to suck on their fingers and stuff. Most kids out-grow it by the time they are six months...probably because they are into their toes instead! If he does continue to do it, it won't ruin his teeth until he is about three or four anyway.

Mathew said...

I wish Wyatt would suck on anything besides me!! He won't take a binkie and hasn't yet discovered his fingers. Your pediatrician needs to lighten up. He's a young baby. Julie, he is so cute and getting so big. Can't wait for our little guys to meet.
Lisa

BJ said...

Hey Jewish,
only really cool people suck their fingers. In fact, if he sucks his fingers until he's about 12 years old it's a good thing. Believe me, I know from experience.