Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Is there a God?

  There have been things swirling through my mind lately about my creator that I wanted to put into words, so that I could figure out what it is I've been thinking and feeling.  I've thought about and prayed for the families of those that lost children in Connecticut.  There are my daily struggles of motherhood that are hard.  There is having a child with disabilities (and extraordinary abilities that others don't have) that I do my best to understand.

Now we've celebrated Christmas and I struggle to help my children understand why it is we celebrate it.  I worry that they'll get lost in the distractions.  I hope and pray with all of my heart that they'll come to know and understand their Creator- their Savior.

I recently was studying about the creation of the world.  Reading the Bible and thinking about the immensity of what he did.  Jesus Christ, under the direction of God created worlds without number.  If you think about how big our universe is- our universe is roughly 16 billion light years in expanse, and there are over 10 billion galaxies.  Then think of all of the planets, stars in that space.  It makes us look pretty small in comparison.  Yet despite that, I feel very reassured that we are known and loved.

So I asked myself:  What kind of experience did the creation give Jesus Christ?  In Moses 1:35 (32-39) it says "all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them."  Not only does he KNOW his creations, He LOVES them!

In creating us and this world that we live on, He gave a purpose and a mission to His creations.  It then became His mission too: To bring immortality and eternal life to all men.  We were also created to show that even in the hard times and in our struggles and in our trials that we would love others and Him.  Jesus' experience with the creation also gave him knowledge and understanding.  Christ said, "My name is Jehovah, and I know the end from the beginning; therefore my hand shall be over thee." (Abraham 2:8)  Despite having innumerable creations, we are still in His hands, and known to Him!

I trust that Jesus Christ has knowledge and understanding that I don't have.  It allows Him to instruct, guide, counsel, and love His creations.  I also have the very firm belief in my heart that through his miraculous atonement, that all of the bad things in life, somehow, in the end will be made right.  He can turn sorrow into joy.  He can turn bitter into sweet.  He can give back what was lost, and songs that haven't been sung will be sun.  If you're living through a moment that feels pretty terrible or disappointing, I trust that in the end he can make something wonderful out of something that seems so black or terrible.  So through pain, and through happy times, and through struggles, and through my weaknesses I know that He loves me, He can change me, He can help me to feel better.  He can make me a better person.

Is there a God?  I say YES!!!!!!!  He knows and loves us!

1 comment:

Pedersen Posse said...

Thanks for your candor and testimony Julie. The timeliness of this post, and especially the title, is a tender mercy for me. I, too, know there is a God and I am so grateful for that simple and profound knowledge that gives light and meaning to my life.