Tuesday, September 10, 2013

UFO's and potty training

 We're starting to turn a corner with our potting training.  My greatest challenge for the last 3 months has been to get Isabel to start urinating from a sitting position.  At first it was because she wanted to imitate her brothers by standing when she goes.  Then it turned into not liking the sensation of going from a sitting position.  We've somehow miraculously started getting over that hump, and now that she's getting treats for her successes it's going much better.  Good meaning that she goes several times a day in the toilet, and still has a few accidents a day too.  Now I have to work on helping her poop in the toilet too.

And this big bad boy is a U.F.O.- unidentified foreign object, aka a small piece of pasta that Isabel shoved up her nose the other night at dinner.  It seems to me like Aaron and Jordan starting having this problem a little closer to 2.5-3 years old.  She just barely turned 2!  Oh well.  I used the same technique as the other kids to get it out.  You do a CPR breathe into their mouth and with one finger close their object-free nostril.  The force of the air will blow the object out of their clogged nostril.

When I used this technique on her she kept laughing and I couldn't get a good seal on her mouth and it took a lot of different tries before it actually worked.  I would never have guessed it was so hard to blow into a 2 year-old's mouth!  Good news was that I didn't get a face full of snot like I did with Aaron and Jordan.  Silver lining to every cloud I guess. ;>

3 comments:

Heidi said...

you have all the great tricks, Nurse Julie! I'll have to tuck that one away for another day :)

Pedersen Posse said...

I hope that's one procedure I never have to use. :)

Scott and Karin said...

Today Milo came up to me and started pointing to his nose, "uck, uck" I took a flash light and saw a chunk of foam! Luckily it was small enough to get out with a q-tip. I need to remember that CPR blow thing the next time it is something bigger.