Monday, August 25, 2014

ferragosto 2014

 In August we were able to do some fun day trips since Paolo was home on vacation.  In the mountains about 1.5-2 hours from here there are a few artificial lakes created by some dams.  We went the first week we were back home to bacino di suviana (lake suviana), and then on ferragosto (one of Italy's biggest holidays) to bacino di brasimone (lake brasimone).

 I think my kids should have been born either as fish or some other water creature because they really can stay in the water 3-4 hours at a time.
 We also drove past this REALLY COOL old castle called Rochetta Mattei, that was an antique family, very "eccentric" as Paolo describes it to me that built this castle in the middle of the alps!  Unfortunately it's under rennovation and not open to the public. :(

So after an amazing drive in the mountains, we got to this small town called Grizzana.  I had to take a picture of the name of the place because I'm as good at remembering names as I am at remembering the chemical makeup of an atomic bomb!  Names just don't stick in my head.



They had a fun Medieval parade.  It was quite small, but just perfect for my kids.

At the end of the parade, the king read a proclamation and from the balcony nearby were thrown the delicious traditional sweets called "zuccherini" (the link I put in was to show the picture of them better, but their not really lemon flavored, at least not in the Bologna region).  Free treats to boot!  Well, I think it was a good marketing technique because we ended up buying a bag and eating the whole thing the same day! 


No comments: