Friday, April 27, 2012

Trip to Verona

 My two good friends and I decided to take a day trip to Verona (home of Romeo and Juliette) with our little kids.  I only took Aaron and Isabel, and Jordan stayed home with dad to have a special day with him.  Above is my friend Paige, and below is my friend Brianna.  These two awesome women are living in Bologna while their husbands study at John's Hopkins University.  Sadly, they'll be leaving at the end of May. :(
 This is the Arena, much like the Colosseum in Rome, but this one is intact and there are operas and concerts performed here all summer long.
 Verona happens to also be the first city that I served in on my mission.  I lived here for 4 1/2 months in 2000.
 This is a castle the we walked up.
 View from the bridge of the castle.
 Aaron's very cheesy grins.  He held up very, very well for a long day of travel, and not playing with his Cars2 cars.

 The statue of Juliette.  Superstition has it that if you rub her breast, you'll have good luck.  I'll be luck-less after this trip. :)  This would explain why she is shinier in some places than others.
 Piazza comunale

 Got the big sized ice cream cone.  Aaron was VERY happy.
 This is from Ponte Pietra.  Theses scenes are what I think of when I think of Verona.




 If you walk up a lot of stairs, you can get a fantastic view of the city!

 This picture didn't turn out great, but I rode my bike in front of these beautiful buildings THOUSANDS of time, and this is where I began to fall in love with Italy so many years ago.  As I looked at this place I was filled with wonder and awe at the ability that God has given us to love Him, love beautiful places, good people, and good things!
Here's Ada and Taryn, the other two tag-alongs.  They held up great too!

2 comments:

Scott and Karin said...

BEAUTIFUL! Wish I could go with!

Unknown said...

This was such a fun trip. I keep looking at photos and remembering how fun it was...maybe we'll just do another round of grad school so we can stick around ;)