Friday, October 26, 2012

The songs I cannot sing (The Rickards part 2)


This is in Verona.  Last Monday before my good friend Karla left, we had a girls day out.  We went to see Verona and then Venice.  The whole time we kept pinching ourselves and saying how great it was that we were in Italy, in Verona, in Venice, eating gelato, drinking/eating hot chocolate...


 This is a view froma castle on the side of the hill.  This was the first city that I served in on my mission and it still brings back good memories.

 We also had to die for hot chocolate.  First hot chocolate that I've chewed!  It really was that thick, and delicious!
 Another castle...


 In Venice wandering the back streets.

 Streets so narrow that I could touch with my elbows!
 Izzy held up like a champ even though I think she's teething with more molars (don't know where they're going to fit in that mouth!).
Just thinking and reflecting on my visit now that Karla and Brad are back in Utah and enjoying a little snow. :)  I remember right before we left, Paolo and I went to listen to what's called general conference by my church.  It's where our prophet and apostles talk to us.  There was one particular talk that touched on my frazzled nerves and spoke peace to me while I was in the midst of turmoil.  Quentin L. Cook gave a talk called "The Songs They Could Not Sing".

Before leaving and moving to Italy I was having sadness over thinking of all the things, meaning people, that I would leave behind.  It made me so sad to think I didn't know when I would see, hug, look in the eyes, smile at, laugh with, etc. all of those that I loved so dear.  When I listened to this talk Elder Cook spoke to my fears and my heart reassuring me that even though life is hard, and unfair, and you don't understand why everything has to happen a certain way, that it would be all ok in the end.  There is a Savior Jesus Christ that will make sure that nothing that is deserved or fair or wonderful in life will be taken away forever from those that love Him.  He can give us back and make up for all those things we feel we've lost.  "And Jesus listening can hear the songs I cannot sing".

I feel like my time with Karla and Brad was a gift.  Some of those unsung songs have now been sung.  I've been given a gift by my creator, and I feel so grateful.

1 comment:

Scott and Karin said...

Looks like fun! I wish it was me there! One day...I promise! LOVE YOU!