Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Earthquake update

Just as an update.  We're still doing fine even with the after shocks so far.  We have some friends in the area that was hit hardest.  They are in a tented area for people from that area and are being asked to stay nearby while waiting to hear if they can make it into their house or not.  I felt fortunate to pray with my family and to thank my Heavenly Father to have running water and a roof over my head.

All of the schools are closed today, so we went to the park.  Whenever I go there is never more than 2 other kids in the park at one time.  It was chuck full of kids because the schools are closed and the recommendation is to stay outside for as long as possible in case of more aftershocks.

As the kids were playing in the sandbox I saw a girl with two blisters on her foot.  I thought "poor girl got a blister from her shoes".  Then she said to her friend, "look!  I have chicken pox!"  She did indeed.  So I figured out who her mom was and asked her if her daughter was still contagious.  She said "no, no.  It's been 11 days already"



I quickly took my kids out of the sandbox, walked home and gave them the biggest bubble bath of their life.  I'm pretty sure if you still have blisters that you're contagious.  If my 9 month old baby gets it from this little girl I'm going to be really ticked at her mom!  Granted it was only the boys in the sand box, but they pass everything to Isabel.

4 comments:

Sabrina Gironda Perkins said...

oh mannaggia, ma non hanno i vaccini?

Unknown said...

Quello della varicella non e' obbligatorio quindi alcuni lo fanno altri no. Ovviamente c'e' un grande dibattito sul fatto se sia necessario o no. La mia amica che vive in Sardegna ha preso la varicella a 14 anni e visto che si ricorda quanto male e' stata ha fatto vaccinare i suoi figli ma la maggior parte delle mamme non lo fa. Anche io mi ricordo che si diceva che sei contagioso prima che escono le bollicine ma non so se e' un'altro mito italiano o verita'.

Unknown said...

i gave ada a bath in a tub for the first time in a looooong time yesterday. it totally freaked her out. we're going to have to ease into our new life slowly...

glad you guys are okay!

also, you're so cool that you get comments on your blog in italian ;)

Scott and Karin said...

we're glad you're okay! And hope you don't get chicken pox! We're praying for you!