Monday, March 4, 2013

the golden birthday rule


March 4th is my birthday.  I had one of the best birthday's ever.  My kids only woke up once during the night (which means I didn't wake up with a headache).  At 3 p.m. Paolo had to go see someone and he took Isabel with him.  Which meant that I had time to think...  I can't remember the last time that happened.  One that I was lucid enough to do that, and two there was silence.  Two unusual things for me.  I started thinking about all of the people that had been giving to me.  My husband, my kids, the package I got from my friend Karla, the emails and phone calls.  It was definitely a day for receiving for me!

So then I started thinking about the golden: do to others what you'd want them to do to you/for you.  I'm  a BIG BELIEVER in the golden rule for a few reasons.  One, it's true.  For another thing, I feel much happier when I try to give the very best to others, even when I don't feel like it in the moment.  It made me think that I was sent to the earth for a purpose- to give to others and to love, and to become better.  I wondered if I was doing enough?  Giving enough?  I feel like I do give the best of myself most of the time, but I felt like my heart could be in it more of the time or to a higher degree.  So I decided on a birthday goal/rule for myself.  It's a good reminder to ask myself:  Am I giving? lifting? loving like I was created to?  Because when I do, I really do feel happy.

 That being said, I was very grateful for all of the love and good that was given to me, and hope to pay it forward.  Another good birthday rule:  pay it forward!  I got a fun little package from my friend Karla.

I also went on a DATE with my sweet husband.  And to top it off, I had a FREE gelato from my favorite Gelateria, Gianni's.  They give you a free ice cream on your birthday.  Too bad I didn't have my camera on my date!

 These are just a couple of pictures from meeting friends at the park on Sunday.  My kids LO-OVE strawberries and they chowed down on the little treat that we brought with us.



and the highlight of my kids day: ice cream!  My friend Rosangela lives next to this park and she had some ice cream cones in her freezer.  Oh the joy!

4 comments:

Brianna Smith said...

Yeah! I'm glad your birthday was a great one and that you got to go on a date with Paolo!!!! (Oh and the free gelato...awesome!)
LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

I miss all those sweet faces! Happy Birthday, Julie! You deserved to have a best-ever birthday!!

Pedersen Posse said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like it was one worth remembering!

Sabrina Gironda Perkins said...

tanti auguri!!