Friday, August 31, 2012

Simply Charming

Simply Charming

 I've entered this quilt into a contest being hosted by Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild (I used to belong to it before moving to Italy).  They're hosting a challenge to make a quilt with a Dresden Ruler.  I'm most proud of myself because this quilt was done almost entirely with a charm pack (5 inch squares that are pre-cut from a line of fabric).  I used this charm pack, and a little tiny bit of extra yardage to finish it.  It's a 62 inch square.  I'm also proud of myself because it is square (and not lop-sided).

I'm also proud of myself because I figured out all on my own how to do the double circle.  On the outer circle I occassionally inverted a piece of fabric and was able to make a larger circle.

I was originally inspired to make this quilt by doing one very similar for Paolo's aunt and uncle's 40th Wedding Anniversary.  They are such wonderful people and have lost a lot of loved ones, including a daughter at the age of 19 in a car accident.  It had particular meaning to me because the significance was that circles give the idea of eternity and each piece of fabric represented a person in the family, linked or tied together.  Even though there are some family members gone, they are always tied to us- a part of us.  And those relationships last forever!




 Couldn't resist getting Isabel in there (even though she has a disgustingly dirty knee)/

 Here's the back

Voila!
And here's the first one that I did for Ivo and Ivana, that inspired this one.  The original was a 40 inch square.

15 comments:

Barb and Sharon said...

Your Dresden quilt is very beautiful. such clean lines.
Barb@Witsend

Colleen said...

Julie, this quilt is amazing! I love how traditional it appears, but that it is so unique. The extra wedges inverted around the outside are simply genius.

Kati said...

Julie--this turned out so great! I love how you finished it. Great work amid all your craziness right now. Isabel is getting do dang cute!

Briawna said...

Julie,

I LOVE it! I have a layer cake of hello luscious beckoning me, but I have way too many etsy orders to finish before I can do some "me" quilting. I have yet to try a dresden, but you've inspired me to try it. I'm trying hand pieced hexies right now, but maybe if I never finish, I'll try some dresdens. Did you just baste the plates onto the background? So cute.

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! I love the story, I'm sure it will be cherished. (And I too get a little giddy when my quilts are actually square! Hehe!)

Scott and Karin said...

Beautiful! You are getting so good at these Julie! I love it! I love you!

Pedersen Posse said...

Good job! Love it too! I adore the pic with Isabel and the quilt. They fit well together.

KaHolly said...

It is very beautiful!! Good Luck!

KaHolly said...

If you e-mail me (ksroy54 (at)hotmail.com, I'll send you photos of all the quotes on my quilt.

Cathy said...

Gorgeous quilt. Funny about it being square. Do we all struggle with that? ;-)

Kizzie @ KizziesKorner.com said...

Julie its beautiful!! Goodluck hun!!! I love how cosy it looks!

Richard Healey said...

Such a neat quilt love the corners. And the baby shot is just wonderful.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://trackmyshows.blogspot.com

Sabrina Gironda Perkins said...

it's beautiful!!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Lovely quilt front and back! Such nice touches and always going back to the dresden.......very nice...and Isabel (dirty knee and all) is the best touch of all!

April said...

very lovely! I really love the double dresden! I really want to try this!